Today Show: Gazpacho Soup with Crab
“We’re staying cold today,” he said of the gazpacho, which is traditionally served cool, unlike most soups. Look for ripe plum, beefsteak, or heirloom tomatoes. Gallante said he prefers to skin his avocados. I have an easier time dicing it in the skin and then squeezing the flesh out. How do you peel your avocados?
Today Show: Shea Gallante Tomato Gazpacho with Crab, Avocado and Basil Recipe Ingredients
- 3 Tomatoes
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 bunch Basil
- 1 oz Sherry Vinegar
- 1 Avocado
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 tbsp prepared Horseradish
- 1 cup cubed Watermelon
- 1 Red Bell Pepper
- 1/4 Red Onion
- 1 Cucumber
- 2 oz Orange Juice
- 1 1” thick slice crusty Bread
- 1 cup Crab meat (or use Smoked Salmon)
- 1/2 cup Sour Cream
- 1 tbsp sliced Chives
- 4 oz Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Shea Gallante: Today Show Tomato Gazpacho with Crab, Avocado and Basil Recipe Directions
- Chop the tomato with garlic, bell pepper, onion, and cucumber.
- Toss chopped vegetables with bread, orange juice, and basil (but reserve one sprig for later). Seal in an airtight container and refrigerate overnight.
- Working in batches, blend the ingredients together. During the final batch, add sherry vinegar and olive oil. Mix all the blended batches together and adjust seasonings to taste.
- Make sure there are no shell pieces in your crab meat. Season with squeezed lemon juice, chives, and salt.
- Combine sour cream with a squeeze of lemon and the horseradish.
- Cut the avocado into pieces. Julienne the remaining basil sprig and toss its leaves with the avocado pieces.
- Spoon a portion of crab over a mound of avocado in a serving dish. Mix in watermelon cubes before serving.
- Pour soup over this. Garnish with with horseradish sour cream and olive oil.