Today’s Kitchen: Zane Holmquist
Today Show anchor Matt Lauer went into the kitchen with Zane Holmquist for some holiday favorite snacks for the family. Holmquist is executive chef at The Stein Eriksen Lodge in Park City, Utah. He made a Peanut Butter and Jelly Hot Chocolate for kids and a Utah Stonewall cocktail for adults. He also shared his Candy Cane Kettle Corn and Pumpkin Pie Milkshake.
Today Show: Zane Holmquist Peanut Butter and Jelly Hot Chocolate Recipe
“Flavors that I like are usually flavors that kids like,” Holmquist said in explaining how he came up with this drink recipe.
- 3 cups Milk
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Milk Chocolate Chips
- 3 cups Half & Half
- 1/3 cup Sugar
- 3 tbsp creamy Peanut Butter
- pinch of Salt
Jelly Cream Ingredients
- 2 cups Heavy Cream
- 3 tbsp Raspberry Jam (or use Strawberry)
Zane Holmquist: Today Show Peanut Butter and Jelly Hot Chocolate Recipe
- To make the cream, place chilled heavy cream in a large bowl and add jam.
- Whisk for two to three minutes to form medium peaks. Chill until ready to serve.
- Meanwhile, combine cocoa powder, chocolate chips, sugar, peanut butter, and salt in a mixing bowl; reserve.
- Combine milk with half & half on medium heat in a pan with a thick bottom. Heat to 190 F, just shy of boiling, and whisk often.
- Once milk has reached 190 F, pour it over the peanut butter mixture, whisking about two minutes until smooth.
- Ladle the hot chocolate into mugs and serve topped with the jelly whipped cream.
Today Show: Zane Holmquist Utah Stonewall Recipe
You can make this drink with or without alcohol, as Holmquist explained to Matt Lauer.
- 32 oz Apple Cider
- 1 Honeycrisp Apple, cut in wedges
- 8 oz Utah’s High West Double Rye (or use Bourbon)
- 4 Lemon Twists
- Heat cider in a large pot to 180 F, but do not let it boil.
- Let the cider cool a bit before adding rye.
- Place two apple wedges and a lemon twist in a serving mug.
- Pour cider over the garnishes and serve warm.