Today Show: Candy Canes & Pumpkin Pie
From Utah’s Stein Eriksen Lodge, executive chef Zane Holmquist teamed with Matt Lauer to make some Christmas treats: Candy Cane Kettle Corn and a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake. To get more fun ideas, look at his PB&J Hot Chocolate and Utah Stonewall.
Zane Holmquist: Today Show Candy Cane Kettle Corn Recipe Ingredients
Successfully making kettle corn is all about shaking the pan (but carefully). You probably haven’t ever had kettle corn that tasted quite like this. Holmquist promised “the best holiday corn you’ve ever had.”
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 3/4 cup fine crushed Candy Canes
- 1/4 cup Sugar
- 1/2 cup Popcorn Kernels
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- Popcorn Salt
Today Show: Zane Holmquist Candy Cane Kettle Corn Recipe Directions
- Heat oil in a large pan with a thick bottom over medium high heat, until the oil starts shimmering.
- Add butter and sugar to the pan. Use a wooden spoon to stir until they are melted.
- Pour in the popcorn kernels and put the lid on the pan. Shake the pan for two to four minutes as kernels pop.
- Once popping slows, take the pan off the heat and keep shaking it.
- Take off the lid and pour in candy cane crumbs with a pinch of popcorn salt.
- Transfer popcorn to a large brown paper bag and shake to mix the popcorn.
- Pour into a serving bowl and enjoy.
Zane Holmquist: Today Show Pumpkin Pie Milkshake Recipe Ingredients
If for some reason you have pumpkin pie lingering after your Christmas meal, you can turn it into a Pumpkin Pie Milkshake. All you really need is a blender. (Just make sure to leave the alcohol out if you’re making it for anyone under the age of 21.)
- 4 scoops Vanilla Ice Cream
- 3 slices Pumpkin Pie
- dash of Cinnamon
- 4 cups Whole Milk
- Whipped Cream
- 4 oz Utah’s High West Double Rye (or use Bourbon)
Today Show: Zane Holmquist Pumpkin Pie Milkshake Recipe Directions
- Combine ingredients (except whipped cream) in a blender and puree to a smooth consistency.
- Pour the shake into chilled malt glasses.
- Garnish with whipped cream and cinnamon.